Recently we went out to all of our “Orchid Care Zone” subscribers and asked you about your orchids and how you care for them. We got some great responses, and we wanted to share them with you.
I hope you pick up a few ideas and tips. Plus you’ll see that we ALL make some mistakes from time to time on our orchid growing adventure! 🙂
With that in mind, let’s jump in with our new “Subscriber Spotlight” on Volker & Ximena from Uruguay!
1. How many orchids are in your collection?
2. What is your most-prized orchid?
The older ones which in this case are Phalaenopsis and follow me since I got the first one…
3. How did you get started growing orchids, and how long have you been growing orchids?
Well , all begun when I got married , almost 19 years ago. I saw them in a magazine integrated with a hairstyle, so with this picture in mind I always wanted to have a similar look on such a different day. At this moment it was pretty difficult to get those in my area , but fortunately I had luck to get a few for the wedding day.
So this was a starting point an incurable orchid hobbyist. So , you know for certain , when this tiny creatures bite you, there is no return….
4. Where do you live and what type of climate do you grow your orchids in?
5. What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made growing orchids?
Knowing nothing about them and over watering until they “took over to a better life”.
6. What are your favorite orchid resources to learn from?
All plants are important
7. What’s the coolest trick you’ve ever learned growing orchids?
Knowing that the best substrate to use is none, given you have got the time to care for them, as this implies a lot of more work than planting them….
8. If you’d like to share any additional comments about your orchid love, please add it in the box below:
At this point my husband and I opened 4 years ago a small orchid nursery here in Uruguay called Tiare.
It’s always great to see what people across the world do to care for their orchids.
Do you have any thoughts about their cool trick? Does this work for you too? Leave us a comment below and tell us about it!
If you want to have us possibly feature YOUR orchid collection here on Orchid Care Zone, please fill out our special form right here.