Recently we went out to all of our “Orchid Care Zone” subscribers and asked you about your orchids and how you care for them. We got some great responses, and we wanted to share them with you.
I hope you pick up a few ideas and tips. Plus you’ll see that we ALL make some mistakes from time to time on our orchid growing adventure! 🙂
With that in mind, let’s jump in with our new “Subscriber Spotlight” on N.K. Himatsingka from India!
1. How many orchids are in your collection?
Approximately 50 Phalaenopsis, 100+ Vandas, 100+ Dendrobiums
2. What is your most-prized orchid?
I adore my Phalaenopsis Schilleriana with its lovely mottled leaves and delicate sprays of flowers.
3. How did you get started growing orchids, and how long have you been growing orchids?
From the last 25 odd years.
4. Where do you live and what type of climate do you grow your orchids in?
Calcutta , India – Tropical climate.
5. What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made growing orchids?
Put a few newly acquired plants among my plants without keeping them separately for a few days. The false spider mite infestation wiped out more than 50% of my Phalaenopsis collection.
6. What are your favorite orchid resources to learn from?
I have learned to adapt from various Orchid books. Most were written for temperate climate.
7. What’s the coolest trick you’ve ever learned growing orchids?
Regular weekly dosage of fertiliser and fungicide or insecticide goes a long way in keeping problems at bay.
8. If you’d like to share any additional comments about your orchid love, please add it in the box below
From the time the little node appears till the stems grow and the buds form, and then the first bud opens and then the others follow – its sheer ecstasy- The serene beauty fills one with joy. I call it a form of meditation.
Have you made the same mistake? Leave us a comment below and tell us about it!
If you want to have us possibly feature YOUR orchid collection here on Orchid Care Zone, please fill out our special form right here.